Monday, November 17, 2008

The Writing Week part 46 - South Africa

I'm currently in South Africa, rejuvenating my batteries and trying to decide what next to write. It's all part of the process.

Deciding which of the many ideas I have I want to work on, and...

Clearing my mind to make way for clarity of writing.



While I'm a huge advocate of writing every day, at least while you're working on something (I take a few weeks off in between projects), I also strongly suggest that writers take time to focus on other things, see or appreciate the world, and broaden their horizons. It's a big world, and as writers, we try to tell stories that relate to many different aspects of it. Don't kick yourself too much if you take time off every now and then. It's much better to do that than to burn out. My philosophy: to make a story short, every experience you have, good and bad, strengthens you as a writer. Do what you need to do to be able to tell the stories you want to tell.

2 comments:

Onyx said...

You're standing right next to lion food. Have you not listened to anything I've told you?

"Do what you need to do to be able to tell the stories you want to tell."

I'll think about this. The first thing it makes me want to do is quit my job, but that's not going to happen. But there are other ways to break the shell of everyday routine. I just need to find them.

Zombie said...

Writing Week #47:

"Hi, Zombie here. Cake Man has given up his writing career to live as the king of the oranguatans."