Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Taking a stab at a SILENT CITY cover



So, while tinkering with PhotoShop yesterday, I decided to take a stab at working up a cover for SILENT CITY. Above is what I came up with. Thoughts? Am I being pretentious by even posting this?

Obviously, the images need to be a bit more hi-res and the smudging may work better as a dark red (Blood! Get it?), but overall I was pretty happy with the end result.

I also blacked out my name (which would be under the "A NOVEL" line) for obvious reasons.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

3 comments:

Zombie said...

This looks great, man. I dunno if I'd agree about the red, though. The black & white up top looks good with the black smudging.

Onyx said...

It's cool, but I think you should play around with a few different looks. My first thought was that the cover has a lot going on. One half is in black and white, the other has color, then you have that smudge or blot effect. All of these things make the cover unique in comparison to most mystery covers I've seen lately (thanks to Google and Amazon), but it might be too different. I like the top with the hand and the title a lot. I think my ideal would be to have the city in a more subtle way. Like have a smaller shot of the city and in black in white.

Alex Segura said...

Good point, Onyx. I considered making the city photo black and white, too, but also felt the contrast between the black and white photo up top and the color shot was cool, as well. I'm on the fence. Thanks for the comments, guys!