Thursday, October 23, 2008

Independent Film Structure


On Monday, I went to another of the Screenwriters Meetups here in the Big Apple. As it had been with the last meeting Zombie and I attended, I had to read a script and come ready to critique it. The script, very much an indie flick, generated almost as much discussion on the structure of indie films as it did on itself. The overwhelming consensus among the other attendees of the Meetup, which I disagree with wholeheartedly, is that indie films do not need structure.

I was sitting there shaking my head as some of the other people – I won’t begin to speculate as to anyone’s experience (or lack thereof) with screenwriting – defended the script’s passive protagonist and lack of tension by saying that indie movies do not need traditional cinematic devices (such as a climax). The script essentially flat lined at the end of act one. It was supposed to be a romantic drama about two people struggling to get their lives together. Yet there was never any sense that the characters were really fighting for anything. If they got separated, they didn’t seem to mind. If they were homeless, they were just as happy as if they had a roof over their heads. The script, if anything, ebbed and flowed, but it did not build. The stakes were never raised. The characters never fought for anything, and at the final FADE OUT, they were no different than when we were first introduced to them.

I say all that about the script not to criticize it – there was a lot I liked about it – but to give you the necessary background for why I was so frustrated with other peoples’ notion that all of those flaws were OK, since this is an indie spec. I was amazed by how willing people were to love a script that didn’t build, simply because it would most likely play in art-house theaters if made. No producer, at least none I can think of, is going to buy a script with flat characters and story because it’s indie. Indie films, contrary to what people were saying, often do follow traditional structure, but are so well crafted that the act breaks are not immediately noticeable. The characters are so engaging you’re alternating between looking away from the screen because you don’t want to see them hurt and clinging to the edge of your seat, because you can’t wait to see what’s next.

It’s a dangerous trap to fall into to let yourself believe that independent movies are free to completely discard format and structure. While indie movies are more frequently about “normal people” than most blockbusters are, normal people do not go see movies about normal people not learning lessons or doing anything interesting. It’s not a form of escape. And producers are well aware of the fact that independent movies, which run on limited screens in limited cities, cost just as much if not more per ticket as do blockbusters playing on 3,000 screens across the country. Independent films might be much closer to home thematically than say, Max Payne or The Dark Knight, but they’re still movies. They still require structure.

3 comments:

DOA said...

I do think it’s interesting whether a script needs structure or not. Obvious, I’m on the same boat as you, and a strong believe in structure and build up and stakes, but that is what we’re taught. The 3 acts structure is practically beaten into us, along with all the tricks in the bag to make it work. I often wonder if our view would be different if we were given more freedom to do more surreal or structure-loosed scripts back in school.

Onyx said...

I agree with DOA in that structure as we know it was beaten into us. I think it was the right thing to have beaten into us, but at the same time I feel like it will take us some serious patience and an open mind to accept a non-traditional screenplay long enough to see any beauty in it. Based on your description of the meeting I would side with you Cake Man. Just because it's indie doesn't mean it doesn't need to have structure. But we are young writers, and it will be interesting to see how our definitions and understanding of structure will change as we go along.

Cake Man said...

I guess to clarify briefly, since I realize that the original post took a very black and white approach to indie films, I didn't mean to say that I feel all independent movies should follow three act structure. In fact, the great accomplishment of many of them is their ability to break from it. My argument, though, was more for young and aspiring writers who believe they have license to abandon structure and character arc when writing an independent movie. It's a dangerous belief, since it will (in my opinion) likely result in a script that lacks momentum and compelling characters. True, not all independent films follow three act structure (not all movies - big or small - do). But I would caution first time writers from believing that they can work without rules. The industry is still the industry, and a solid script must have certain, undeniable elements, independent or not.