Friday, May 18, 2007

The End of Another Week


In one of the more interesting conversations that I had this week, my friend Rick and I were talking about his insomnia and his new-found ability to actually control the events of his dreams. Naturally, we considered the cinematic possibilities of this, and without really deciding upon it, we tossed around ideas until we came up with a thriller, the premise of which is very intriguing. I'm a little weary about spilling the beans regarding the ideas for my scripts, so if my vagueness is annoying, I apologize.

The point of bringing this up is that some of the projects I'm currently working on have become a chore, a frustrating one at that, and I've found it difficult to set the time aside to get some work done. Part of it is the 9-5 lifestyle, the setback of which being that I get home with a thick layer of brain fog. Getting through this while in the comfort of my own home is difficult to say the least, and the problem seems to be exacerbated by the dinner-time hunger, just having stood through a 45-minute train ride (usually crowded), and my shiny new Nintendo Wii just glowing at me from the corner of my living room. It's gotten to a point where I don't want to put forth the effort to exhaust myself further by churning out pages and (as has been the case lately) struggling to do so.

Also, the newly discovered thriller and a couple other script ideas have piqued my curiosity, resulting in an interest to explore them further, but I feel as though I have a responsibility to the projects in which I'm currently engaged (one of which is a collaboration). I find myself wondering whether or not this is a phase I need to let myself pass through, or if there are productive ways to go about maximizing my productivity without burning myself out. More realistic guidelines? Rewarding myself? Instilling new habits (writing away from home)? It seems as though it's time to explore some options.

If anyone reading has any suggestions about combating the aforementioned brain fog, the laziness associated with just ending a day at work, or any tricks that might help get through this period of lethargy, comment away.

***

As most readers are probably aware, Shrek the Third opens this weekend. The reviews seem pretty mixed at this point, but, honestly, if you liked the first two, would you really not see the third? It must be difficult writing reviews for sequels - the majority of your audience will have already made up their mind whether or not they're going to see the movie. Anyway, I was checking out the writing credits on IMDB, and it's fair to say there are a fuck-ton of writers attributed to making this thing happen, including some guy named Peter Seamen.

I bring this up because if you're looking for an idea how this installment in the Shrek franchise is going to feel, you'll be quick to notice that the writers consist of the guys responsible for the live-action How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and another team credited for Shrek Two. The only people on board from the first film, my favorite of the two so far, are Andrew Adamson (didn't write, but directed the first), and William Steig (the creator!).

Needless to say, if the movie feels a little jumbled, at least we have an idea why.

***

Anyway, there's a comic coming later today, be sure to check out Onyx Enforcer's post (below), and have a great weekend!

Write on...

No comments: